- 20.2MP 1" High-Sensitivity CMOS Sensor
- DIGIC 6 Image Processor
- 4.2x Optical Zoom f/1.8-2.8 Lens
- 24-100mm (35mm Equivalent)
An advanced compact camera characterized by a large image sensor and fast zoom lens, the PowerShot G5 X from Canon pairs a 20.2MP 1" High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor and DIGIC 6 image processor to form the Canon HS SYSTEM for enhanced low-light capabilities, fast performance and Full HD 1080p/60 video recording. Matching the imaging versatility is the 4.2x optical zoom lens, which provides a 24-100mm equivalent focal length range, and features a bright f/1.8-2.8 maximum aperture for depth of field control and working in difficult lighting conditions. Both a high-resolution 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder and 3.0" 1.04m-dot multi-angle touchscreen LCD are available for monitoring and image review, and built-in Wi-Fi with NFC allows you to wirelessly share imagery with a smartphone, tablet, or Connect Station CS100. Revolving around the sophisticated sensor and processor combination, the G5 X sports both apt imaging capabilities as well as a wealth of functional assets for shooting control and sharing.
To benefit handling, the G5 X has been fitted with numerous physical controls, including a dedicated exposure compensation dial, front dial, control ring and control dial for quickly customizing various shooting settings. A hot shoe is incorporated into the design for working with an optional external flash, and the camera is also compatible with the optional RS-60E3 for wired remote shooting.
20.2MP 1" CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 6 Processor
4.2x Optical Zoom Lens
- Normal IS: Corrects for a wide variety of camera movement types when shooting stills.
- Panning IS: Intended for use when making tracking shots, this setting ensures that IS will not interfere with desired lateral camera movements.
- Macro (Hybrid) IS: Used for both stills and video recording, this setting corrects for shift-type camera shake that is common when photographing close-up subjects. It also compensates for motion blur associated with recording video while walking.
- Tripod: Image stabilization is deactivated when shooting stills atop a tripod.
- Dynamic IS: This setting is effective when recording video using wider focal lengths and simultaneously walking or moving.
- Powered IS: Ideally suited for shooting video with telephoto focal lengths, this mode compensates for the camera movements that become more apparent with greater zoom magnifications.
- Active Tripod IS: Unlike the stills tripod mode, this video-specific tripod mode compensates for slight amounts of shake that can be caused when recording movies from a tripod.
- A 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder offers high-resolution, wide gamut eye-level monitoring for critical viewing in harsh lighting conditions. The viewfinder provides 100% frame coverage, incorporates a sensor for switching between the finder and rear monitor, has a smooth refresh rate of 120 fps, and has an eye point of 22mm for viewing flexibility.
- For live view monitoring and image playback, a 3.0" 1.04m-dot LCD screen is available and features a multi-angle design for working from high and low angles, and is also a touchscreen for intuitive settings control and menu navigation. The vari-angle design can rotate up to 270° and can also be turned around and closed against the camera body for protection while shooting.
- An exposure compensation dial, as well as a customizable front dial, control ring, and control dial, lend easily accessible, direct control over various shooting settings.
- A hot shoe allows you to pair optional external flashes as well as other shoe-mounted accessories with the camera.
- A remote socket permits use of the optional RS-60E3 Remote Switch for wired remote camera control.
Full HD Video Recording
Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC
Other Camera Features
- Dedicated Star Modes and functions can be used to capture photos and videos of the nighttime sky with enhanced brilliance and clarity. Star Nightscape, Star Trails, and Star Time-Lapse Movies can be recorded, with auto or manual settings, and support functions, such as Night Display, Color Adjustment, and star Emphasis, offer greater control over the final results.
- A built-in pop-up flash can be used to provide additional illumination to a scene when working in challenging lighting conditions.
- The included NB-13L rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides up to 210 shots per charge when working with the LCD screen, 215 shots per charge with the electronic viewfinder, or 320 shots per charge in the ECO Mode.
- An electronic level function helps to ensure plumb verticals and level horizons.
- Photo Effects: My Colors Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, and Custom Color.
- Playback Functions: Story Highlights, Protect, Favorites, Erase, Print, Group Playback, Play Movie, List/Play Digest Movies, Image Search, Slideshow, Rotate, Album Playback, Play Creative Shot Movies, Short Clip Mix, i-Contrast, Resize, Cropping, Red-Eye Correction, My Colors, Face ID Info, Print Settings, Photobook Set-up, Transition Effect, Index Effect, Scroll Display, Group Images, Auto Rotate, Resume, Image Jump with Control Ring/Front Dial, and Set Touch Actions.
Canon G5 X Specs
|Pixels||Actual: 20.9 Megapixel
Effective: 20.2 Megapixel
|Maximum Resolution||5472 x 3648|
|Aspect Ratio||1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9|
|Image File Format||JPEG, RAW|
|Focal Length||8.8 to 36.8mm (35mm Equivalent Focal Length: 24 to 100mm)|
|Digital Zoom||4x Maximum (16.8x Combined Zoom)|
|Maximum Aperture||f/1.8 to 2.8|
1.97" to Infinity / 5 cm to Infinity (Wide)
1.3' to Infinity / 40 cm to Infinity (Telephoto)
2" to Infinity / 5 cm to Infinity (Wide)
1.3' to Infinity / 40 cm to Infinity (Telephoto)
1.97" to 19.69" / 5 cm to 50 cm (Wide)
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, 125 to 6400 (Extended: 125 to 12800)|
|Shutter Speed||1/2000 to 30 Seconds
1/2000 to 1 Second in Auto Mode
|Metering Method||Center-Weighted Average, Evaluative, Spot|
|Exposure Modes||Aperture Priority, Auto, Manual, Program, Shutter Priority|
|Exposure Compensation||-3 to +3 EV (1/3 EV Steps)|
|White Balance||Auto, Cloudy, Custom 1, Custom 2, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Shade, Tungsten|
|Continuous Shooting||Up to 5.9 fps at 20.2 MP|
|Special Options||Fireworks, Fish-Eye Effect, Handheld Night, Miniature Effect, Monochrome, Portrait, Sports, Toy Camera Effect|
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 59.94p [35 Mb/s]
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 23.976p/29.97p [24 Mb/s]
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 15p
HD (1280 x 720) at 29.97p [8 Mb/s]
HD (1280 x 720) at 1.5p/3p/6p
SD (640 x 480) at 29.97p [3 Mb/s]
SD (640 x 480) at 1.5p/3p/6p
|Recording Limit||Up to 29 Minutes, 59 Seconds|
|Audio Recording||Built-In Microphone (Stereo)|
|Audio File Format||AAC LC|
|Viewfinder Resolution||2,360,000 Dot|
|Monitor Resolution||1,040,000 Dot|
|Monitor Type||Articulating Touchscreen LCD|
|Flash Modes||Auto, Forced On, Off, Slow Sync|
|Effective Flash Range||1.6 to 23.0' / 0.5 to 7 m (Wide)
1.6 to 13.1' / 0.5 to 4 m (Telephoto)
|External Flash Connection||Hot Shoe|
|Memory Card Slot||1 x SD/SDHC/SDXC|
|Connectivity||HDMI D (Micro), USB 2.0, USB 2.0 Micro-B|
|Operating Temperature||32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C|
|Operating Humidity||10 to 90%|
|Battery||1 x NB-13L Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 3.6 VDC, 1250 mAh (Approx. 210 Shots)|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||4.4 x 3 x 1.7" / 112.4 x 76.4 x 44.2 mm|
|Weight||13.3 oz / 377.1 g (Body with Battery and Memory)|
|Package Weight||1.845 lb|
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||7.15 x 6.65 x 3.55"|